English National Ballet School is first and foremost a ballet school. We ensure students receive a good all-round education to prepare you for a future career in dance and provide a unique course of academic study which focuses on creative and artistic development.
You will continue to develop academic and intellectual skills through a programme specifically designed to enhance and extend your dance training and to meet the demands of the ever changing dance profession. This course is taught in English and all students must have at least level B1 or equivalent in written and spoken English
The course of study includes:
- Dance History - a fascinating look at the roots of present day dance performance. This course underpins work in all other modules
- Anatomy for dancers - understanding the importance of nutrition, psychology, fitness and a healthy lifestyle in reaching optimum performance
- Choreography - developing the imaginative and creative response in each dancer and understanding the choreographic process. The module is integrated with a number of other modules
- Benesh Notation - English National Ballet School is one of only two vocational schools in the United Kingdom to enter students for the Score Reading for Dancers exam of the Benesh Institute, where results are consistently high
- Professional Development Portfolio - preparation for audition and entry into the dance profession; also maintaining a professional career
- Dance on Screen - from Busby Berkeley to the Ballet Boyz this module focuses on the directors, choreographers and dancers who have used innovatory filming techniques to portray, manipulate and distort the dancing body over the last seventy five years.
Students are entered for the Diploma in Professional Dance at Level 5 or 6 accredited by Trinity College London. These Diplomas emphasise the artistic, creative, technical and professional skills that a dancer needs in order to prepare for a sustainable, varied and high-level performing career. Following graduation, our students have the opportunity to convert their Diploma into a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Professional Practice by undertaking a one year distance learning course at Middlesex University.