English National Ballet School is first and foremost a ballet school. We ensure students receive a good all-round education to prepare them for a future career in dance and provide a unique course of academic study which focuses on creative and artistic development.
Students will continue to develop their academic and intellectual skills through a programme specifically designed to enhance and extend their dance training and to meet the demands of the ever-changing dance profession.
The course is taught in English and it is recommended that all students have at least level B1 or equivalent in written and spoken English.
The course of study includes:
- Dance History - a fascinating look at the roots of present day dance performance. This course underpins work in all other modules
- Anatomy for Dancers, Nutrition & Performance Psychology lectures - understanding the importance of nutrition, psychology, fitness and a healthy lifestyle in reaching optimum performance
- Choreography - developing the imaginative and creative response in each dancer and understanding the choreographic process. The module is integrated with a number of other modules
- Benesh Notation - study for the Benesh International Score Reading for Dancers examination, where results are consistently high
- Professional Development Portfolio - preparation for audition and entry into the dance profession; also maintaining a professional career
- Dance on Screen - from Busby Berkeley to La La Land this module focuses on the directors, choreographers and dancers who have used innovatory filming techniques to portray, manipulate and distort the dancing body over the last eighty-five years
Students are entered for Trinity College London’s Diploma in Professional Dance at Level 5 or 6. These Diplomas emphasise the artistic, creative, technical and professional skills that a dancer needs to prepare for a sustainable, varied and high-level performing career. Following graduation, our students have the opportunity to extend their Diploma into a Bachelor of Arts degree in Professional Practice, Arts and Creative Industries by undertaking an eighteen month distance learning course at Middlesex University.